Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chivalry is alive and well!

So I'm perusing the IMDb.com forums the other day, and I came across some really negative comments directed towards the love of my life, Rachel Bilson. I usually ignore this sort of behavior, since IMDb is like a playground for trolls. Honestly, they might as well have their mail sent there.


Nevertheless, the criticism really started to irk me, and I felt like I needed to defend my girl's honor.

Basically, several posters were going on and on about how she's overrated and how she cannot act. I think this is unfair. I'm not blind, I recognize she's not going to be nominated for an Oscar any time soon. But you know what? She's young, and she hasn't had all that many opportunities to spread her wings. Let me offer a comparison: When Will Smith first started The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, I highly doubt anybody expected him to become one of the highest paid actors in the industry, and a multi-time Academy Awards nominee.

Another big criticism was that she always plays the same role. Again, I don't think that's entirely fair. I mean, few would argue that Tom Hanks is an extremely talented actor, yet he basically played the same quirky, lovable guy for about ten or fifteen years. And I think people fail to recognize how convincingly Rachel played Summer as bitchy and shallow, then as sarcastic and sweet, and finally as independent and sympathetic. And she managed to do this while staying true to the essence of the character. The O.C. wasn't Shakespeare, but she was probably the best developed character on the show.

Again, I'm not saying she's going to be the next Meryl Streep (but who knows, she may), I'm just saying that it isn't completely fair to judge her acting chops based on the first five years of her acting career.

Besides which, she's really, really hot...

No comments: