Saturday, March 29, 2008

WrestleMania Predictions!


First off, anybody that has visited my pledge page may have noticed that the goal is now $500 instead of $200. Some people at work were nice enough to offer some donations (which was exceptionally good of them), but the more money the better! Once again, it's going to a great cause, so even if you want to donate $10 or $20, please don't hesitate. It would be genuinely appreciated. Once again, the link to my page is below:



Now, onto some predictions....

While people have complained that the build has been less than stellar (it's long been said that the WrestleMania name -- and not one particular match -- sells the show. I feel like they took that philosophy to heart this year), but from top to bottom, the card really does look pretty good and entertaining.

WWE Championship:
Randy Orton (C) vs. Triple H vs. John Cena

A couple weeks ago, on JR's blog, somebody asked why Triple H always needs to be in the main event. JR's ever-so-snarky in an ever-so-subtle remark was "he wasn't in the main event last year, was he?" What a douchebag. No, he wasn't....because he was INJURED and missed the show. But on the new John Cena DVD, Triple H explicitly states that he was SUPPOSED to fight Cena in the main event. It just goes to show you that the plan is always Triple H vs. ??? in the main event, and they fill in the blanks along the way.

That said, considering that the H's hasn't had a lengthy title reign since before WrestleMania 21, I think he's taking home the gold title. Personally, I think the best case scenario, should this happen, would be for Triple H to turn heel after (or during) the match. That way they can continue Cena vs. Triple H, while opening up some possibilities for the Money in the Bank match.

Winner (and new champion): Triple H

World Heavyweight Championship:
Edge (C) vs. The Undertaker

While I don't think Edge has ANY chance in Hell of ending The Undertaker's WrestleMania win streak (15-0, going into this match), I am really proud that he's in a main event. Since about WrestleMania X-8 (which I attended!) he's been destined to be in a top match, but around Royal Rumble time they take a huge step back, and he ends up simply winning a "high card" match. Amazing that the first year he's in the main event is also the first year he's not on the same show as Triple H (the same person who stuck his big nose -- and I do mean big -- into the other brand's title match). Since before his Brood days, Edge has been one of my favorite wrestlers, so his recent success has been really fulfilling for me.

That said, there's a better chance of Eddie Guerrero making a run-in to attack Edge for screwing around with his wife (too soon?) than there is of Edge beating 'Taker. But hey, there's no shame in losing to him at the big show.
Winner (and new champion): The Undertaker

The Biggest vs. The Best:
The Big Show vs. Floyd "Money" Mayweather

Speaking of the Big Show.... I don't know much about boxing, so I can't really comment on Mayweather's ability. While I don't see him losing, I don't see him winning clean either. This is a tough match to predict, because, considering all the press its received, I don't see them doing a lame screwjob finish either. I guess I'll say that, in the end, somehow, some way, Mayweather ends up victorious.
Winner: Mayweather
Complete Match Preview

Career-Threatening Match:
Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels

It seems like a foregone conclusion that Flair is retiring at the end of the night. As such, it seems logical that HBK is going over here. I'm going to go against the grain, and instead predict that Flair wins -- clean -- and having just successfully competed in an awesome match with one of the best, he decides to retire anyway. As such, the match (and show?) ends with these two great Superstars embracing, with HBK raising Flair's arm.

I actually think this would be a much more appropriate end to Flair's career. Having spending a significant part of his second WWE tenure jobbing to pretty much everybody, I think it'd be really nice to have him end things with a victory, after a pretty impressive winning streak. Since November of December (whenever this angle started), he's beaten WWE Champion Randy Orton more than once, former champion Triple H, and future champions Mr. Kennedy and MVP.
I think the bigger question is whether or not they'll have the cajones to have this match finish off the show. I think it'd be a really nice moment, but the smart money is on the WWE Championship triple threat.
Winner: Ric Flair

Money in the Bank Ladder Match:
Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk vs. MVP vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. John Morrison vs. Carlito vs. Mr. Kennedy

With Jeff Hardy no longer in the match, this has become the toughest one to predict. First and foremost, I see Matt Hardy coming in as a surprise entrant. But I don't see him winning. Instead, I see him and MVP fighting to the back near the conclusion, essentially taking them out of the match. The problem now is that, with faces likely holding both World Titles for an extended amount of time, I feel like a heel has to win (after all, holding onto the briefcase waiting for just the right opportunity seems more like a heel tactic than a face one). Kennedy is probably the top heel in this match, however he's already stated that if he wins, he's using the briefcase THAT night. I don't see the show ending with him winning either World title, and I don't see them squashing him either, so that may rule him out. I'm not also sure I see them "wasting" the briefcase -- which they have successfully made into something prestigious -- on solidly midcard acts like Carlito, Morrison, and Benjamin. I could easily see MVP winning it, but I had previously predicted that he's taken out of the match.

The problem with CM Punk winning is that he's already the top face on ECW, so he doesn't need the briefcase to be inserted into the title picture (and I think it would be a big mistake to remove him from that brand). I suppose I could see Jericho winning it, as he is the biggest name in the match, but again I don't really see him challenging Undertaker, Cena, or Triple H (the guys most likely to walk away with the gold).
I guess I'm going to have to go against my original prediction, and go with "logic" and say that MVP wins it. If not him, then Jericho.
Winner: MVP

Smackdown vs. Raw (:: rolls eyes ::):
Batista vs. Umaga

How the mighty have fallen....in both cases! Last year, Batista was arguably stealing the show in a title match against The Undertaker, while Umaga was in the ultra-publicized Battle of the Billionaires match. Now, they're in one of many interpromtional matches that, for reasons not made entirely clear, will determine brand supremacy. Anyway, Batista is the bigger name, and he's still over, so I'm going with him. Either way, I see Umaga moving to Smackdown should they do another Draft Lottery.
Winner: Batista

Belfast Brawl:
Finlay vs. JBL

My predictions have been very "face" heavy, so I'm tempted to pick JBL here. But based on the storyline here, I really think that Finlay needs to get the win to avenge his son. And with JBL and Finlay on separate brands, I don't really see the point in extending the feud.

Then again, Triple H spent months making racist comments towards Booker T, only to squash him, so what do I know?
Winner: Finlay

BunnyMania Lumberjack Match:
Maria & Ashley vs. Beth Phoenix & Melina

Pity that the Women's Championship is being wasted on this match. Nevertheless, I see the Playboy bunnies taking home the win here, with Maria pinning Melina.
Winners: Maria & Ashley

24-Man Battle Royal - Winner faces ECW Champion:
Chavo Guerrero (C) vs. ???

The way I see it, the Battle Royal will go one of three ways:
A sentimental favorite wins: In this case, I see Tommy Dreamer defying the odds and winning the battle royal, but coming up short in the title match (I just can't see them switching all three titles, with a face beating a heel in every match). But considering these guys just fought on ECW, I'm skeptical.
The winner is based on who can deliver the best match: Part of me feels like they're not even setting up the ECW Title match to be "prestigious." Instead, they just want to open the show with an incredible match. In that case, I see Jamie Noble -- or perhaps Jimmy Wang Yang -- winning the battle royal, but cleanly losing to Chavo.
The winner will be the person highest on the card: Basically, the biggest "name" that doesn't have a 'Mania match will win the battle royal to face Chavo. If that's the case, Kane wins. I'm tempted to say that the match ends with Chavo intentionally getitng himself DQ'd or counted out, but I'm not sure if they'd open the show with a screwjob ending.
Battle Royal Winner: Kane
ECW Championship Match Winner: Chavo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dunno if you are predicting wrestlemania this year but you can win $50 if you do well over at fourdown.org

hope you don't mind me sharing