Sunday, March 16, 2008

"We need you.....we need you....I need you...."

So "Favorite" Jonathan was forced to leave the game in last week's episode of Survivor, because his injured leg was starting to become infected. Should the infection spread, he'd risk not only losing the limb, but his life as well. It was a genuinely touching scene, and I found myself genuinely upset and disappointed to see him have to go. In my earlier "stream of conscious" reviews of this season, I've noted that he's become one of my favorite characters.

That said, there was one thing about this scene that I found absolutely hiliarous: Kathy's reaction. For those who aren't fans of the show, Kathy is the character who, upon meeting one of the gay contestants, asked "that doesn't mean you want to be a girl, right?" Anyway, when Jonathan announced to his tribe that he had to leave, everybody was understandably upset. Kathy -- who had been his tribemate for a grand total of three days -- is in tears. And in the midst of Jonathan attempting to have a personal "good bye" with Eliza (his closest ally in the game), Kathy bursts in, with tears streaming down her face, saying "We need you.....we need you.....I need you!" It reminded me SO MUCH of Trudy Wiegel's desperate and pathetic obsession with the super gay and totally uninterested Lt. Dangle (while Jonathan is not gay, the emotional attachment between him and his fan cohort did not appear to be requited). I couldn't help but think of that as it all unfolded.

If you envision Wiegel and Dangle in this situation, the scene becomes significantly more hilarious. Enjoy:



No comments: