Friday, March 28, 2008

Hair Loss

No, I'm not going bald.

Sadly, I read in the paper today that Paul, the barber I've been going to for well over 20 years, had passed away. Paul had surgery on his leg a couple of years ago, and decided to retire while he was recuperating. Since then, I've been going to his partner.

I'm sure many people are reading this and wondering why I even feel the need to blog about it. I mean, it's obviously sad whenever anybody you know passes away....but your barber? Truth be told, Paul did feel like family to me. Consider that before he retired, I had been more or less seeing him once a month for, like, 20 years straight. He's watched me grow since before I was in Kindergarten. To this day, I still remember when I was little and, having not mastered the art of tact, I told him -- in awe -- that he speaks English and Italian at the same time. Even more impressive than his accent was the fact that he was a male barber and straight (of course, I never mentioned that to him)!!

It's amazing to think that I followed his barber shop from two different locations in Englewood, all the way to the not-so-convenient Fort Lee.

I will close this up with one of the lovely messages in his obituary:

He will be forever missed. May God bestow all of the graces and glories of heaven upon him.

Rest in peace, old friend. You will truly be missed.

No comments: