Friday, October 31, 2008

There's always another option

Happy Halloween, everybody. I was originally going to post a new edition of Top Ten Cases today, ranking the ten best horror films, but I received some troubling news today that made me reconsider.

At about 1:30 PM today one of my college friends called and reported that one of our close friends had died the day before, and it appears that it was likely a suicide. In respect to his family's privacy, and to not speculate further until anything is confirmed, that's all I'm going to say on that matter.

I will say this, though. It's easy to simply judge those that take their lives by saying they're weak or selfish. I disagree. I have nothing but compassion for somebody who feels so down and depressed that they can do something so drastic. That being said, it's an awful thing to do to those who love and care about you -- your family, your friends. There's always another option, and there ARE people out there that care.

Here is a link to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Asking for help is often times scary. But it's well worth it. Rest in peace, my friend. God bless.

No comments: