Thursday, May 8, 2008

Connie and The Con


This past season I made it a point to watch the first few episodes of Law & Order. I was curious to see how the virtually all new cast would do, and Ed Green is one of my favorite characters in the L&O universe. Along with that, being a fan of Boston Legal, which focuses on the defense side of a trial, it's fun seeing things from the prosecution's standpoint. That being said, when Jesse L. Martin left the show, much of my desire to keep up to date with the series dissipated as well. Lets face the facts, if I'm ever Jonesing for an episode, one must only turn on the TV and surf a few channels in order to find one.

Nevertheless, due to a massive lack of programs to watch last night, I decided to give the show another shot....and I really, really enjoyed the episode. Despite the fact that I had previously noted that I like the show because you see things from the prosecutor's standpoint, I loved the fact that this episode gave us something different. Due to a public defender's strike, there was nobody to represent the defendant. As a result, Assistant District Attorney Connie Rubirosa was literally forced to defend the very man that she was charging for murder. And let me tell you, it was a really fun trip.

Through the police investigation and the first few minutes of the "order" portion, the viewer had already seen the prosecutor's side, so the episode was -- for the most part -- a fair and balanced look at a trial, with the latter part of the court scenes following Connie's attempt to represent her client. In a lot of ways, Connie really is an underutilized character, so it was nice seeing her take the forefront. It was also great seeing how much she has grown as a lawyer. She's incredibly smart, can think on her feet, and is deceptively aggressive. In many ways, she WAS wiping the floor with Cutter, her superior. Perhaps the highlight of the episode for me was how McCoy joyously looked over her performance with a real mentor-like interest. Despite the fact that she was the "opposition," he really revelled in her success.

It was also nice that, despite her unenviable position at the end, you really didn't feel like she jeopardized her ethics. I think the writers also made a great decision by not forcing hostility between Connie and Cutter. Throughout the entire trial, Cutter recognized that Connie was just doing her job, and that it wasn't anything personable. I do believe that a show like Boston Legal WOULD have taken the easy route, and had a conflict between the two opposing councils.

Anyway, that episode gets my thumbs up. Great performance by all involved.

No comments: