Sunday, May 25, 2008

What I don't like about WWE.com


I've been meaning to discuss this since WWE.com's ever-so-slight redesign a few months ago, when some minor changes were made that I believe made general navigation extremely inconvenient and difficult. The biggest of these changes was the navigation bar on the left side of the screen. In the past, it was pretty simple, with a heading like "TV Shows" with Raw, Smackdown, ECW, and the latest PPV as subheadings, or "Superstars" as a heading, with Raw, Smackdown, ECW, Divas, and Hall of Fame as subheadings. Basically, it was very easy to find the page you were looking for.

Well, they redid the layout, and now the listing doesn't even make sense. Like, for example, "Appearances" and "Title History" appear under the "Superstars" heading, when they branch out from the "Schedules" and "Inside WWE" categories. What annoys me the most is that you can't even directly access any of the Superstar pages with one click. If I want to check out the Raw Superstar roster page, I have to either go to the Raw TV Show page, and then hit the "Superstars" link, or I need to go to the Superstars page, and then go to the Raw section from there. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you regularly check the Superstar pages, it's a real pain in the ass.

And I think the thing that annoys me most about the new navigation is that nothing is easier to find, and certain things (as I listed above) are now significantly more difficult to find.

Along with that, the maroon navigation bar at the top of the screen REALLY clashes with the blue background they've been rocking for the past few months. This is a nitpick, but it also drives me crazy that they are STILL using that lame "action shot" picture of Edge for the Smackdown Superstar roster page, instead of an actual promo shot. I mean, this guy has held the World Championship four times in, what, two years? I think you can make the time to update his graphic.

Finally, the whole Broadband video section had a lot of promise, but they seemingly gave up on it after a couple of months. I particularly liked the Lifestyles... episodes. Other features I've liked, such as Superstar Ink, List This!, and What If... are practically never updated.

Some things I do like, though: I think the flash slideshow they use for the main banner looks cool. I also think the tabs for Photos, Videos, WWE News, etc. is an organized, clutter-free way to post a lot of material. The Industry News section is pretty neat as well. And they do have some pretty cool special features, when they decide to update them.

Anyway, Joey Styles, it's YOUR job to address and fix these problems!

No comments: