Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Case of the.... Lost - Episode 6-9

In my Revisited column, other than making two errors, I noted that this was one episode that needed to deliver – that simply could not show any restraint. And in my view, it succeeded, even though I got a bit nervous at the end. Actually, this really reminded me of “Flashes Before Your Eyes” – quite possibly the best episode of the stellar third season – as it recognized that the flashback was so substantial and interesting that switching between timelines would actually hinder the story.

And I’m sure I’m not the only one who, at the end, was kinda sorta loving Richard. In this interesting Lost ensemble, you have a cast of characters that are all flawed or damaged or insecure or evil or petty or jealous or disturbed. Yet then you have Richard Alpert – a man who made a regrettable, fatal error purely out of his intense desire to save his wife’s life. Richard seems to be a victim of unfortunate circumstances – and unlike many of the other characters who may fall into that category, Richard seems especially free of guilt.

Continue reading "A Case of the.... Lost - Episode 6-9"....

Now, part of me expected this episode to chronicle Richard’s time on the island, all the way to the modern period (perhaps up until Widmore and his crew arrived). Only because with seven episodes left, I’m not sure we’ll have the time to devote another Richard-centric one (considering we still have to find out what happened to Claire, and we’re yet to have Hurley, Jin, and Sun sideways stories). But I have to say, it might have been smarter to focus their attentions on Richard’s immediate story. Namely, why he’s eternally young and how he came to earn his position. In the grand scheme of things, isn’t that more important than, say, being the best man at Charles and Eloise’s wedding.

Not surprisingly, there was a great deal that fascinated me. First off, I didn’t expect the Man in Black to play such a critical role in rescuing Richard. First he saved him from getting stabbed. Then he rescued him from his chains. Finally, he fed him and gave him water. A fair point could be made that Richard simply would not have survived had it not been for Smokey personified. But as the episode played out, I thought this made sense. The Man in Black tempted and tried to manipulate Richard, but ultimately he used his better judgment and intuition and did the right thing. And I think that worked better than if Richard felt like he owed Jacob something.

What I did love, though, was that the Man in Black gave Richard instructions that were identical to the ones Dogen gave Sayid. One has to wonder: If these actions are played out exactly how they’re supposed to, would it have any effect? I don’t believe the act of speaking has any impact, because Jacob spoke before Ben was able to successfully commit murder. So what was the intended result? I don’t think he was sending Richard out to get killed, otherwise why spare him to begin with? Something to ponder.

I’d also say that, at the conclusion of this episode, it’s pretty conclusive that Jacob is the good guy and Smokey is the bad guy. No question about that anymore. And I do think Jacob’s comment about how he doesn’t want to straight out tell people what’s right and what’s wrong, and who’s good and who’s bad, is a nice little wink, wink to the audience courtesy of the writers.

If I have one criticism of the ending, it’s that I wouldn’t have concluded it with the scene with Jacob and the Man in Black. For whatever reason, it just seemed choppy to jump back to the present day, only to return to the 1800’s.

And finally, I absolutely must mention the phenomenal acting all around this episode, particularly Nestor Carbonell. On top of capturing some genuine, raw emotion, his appearance and accent really made me buy his past character. It really was a wonderful performance. And for what it’s worth, Jorge Garcia really nailed it in his scene with Richard near the conclusion of the episode as well.

Oh, and I kinda love that Jack now accepts, without hesitation, that Hurley might be talking to an unseen Jacob. He just bursts into the scene saying, “I know you’re talking to Jacob.” My how you’ve grown, Dr. Shephard.

Anyway, I suspect – and hope – that this episode will encourage a lot of feedback (hopefully from nice people). So be sure to send me your thoughts! You know the procedure – you can comment below, visit my blog, or shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!

Provided you’re not an ass.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This episode did not disappoint me one bit. I loved every minute of it. Richard is one of my favorite characters and his story was much sadder than i thought it would be. It really made me feel for the guy.

When Richard told everyone around the camp fire that they are in hell, I totally believed him and my jaw hit the floor. Then, as Lost often does, the episode explained how Richard may have come to think that. Its just crazy to me how long he has been there and yet he still holds on to everything that he learned in those first few days with the MIB and Jacob.

I believe that the Man in Black saved Richard only after killing the others in hopes of making Richard actually believe he was in hell. Notice how he didn't save him right away but let him suffer in the brig for a while before finally showing up with the keys...how convenient! Richard should have been skeptical right off the bat.

I don't agree with you, however, that it is now so clear cut that Jacob is good and the MIB is bad. It certainly appears that way from this episode, but that is only if we believe Jacob. The MIB just wants to leave and he just seems willing to manipulate to kill Jacob. That may seem evil to us, but we don't know the circumstances of the MIB being trapped. Where will he go when he gets off the island? Clearly he isn't going to the main land and getting a shift at Mr. Clucks. We need to find out what "getting off the island" actually is for the MIB and why Jacob is keeping him there.

Unless, in Jacobs metaphor of the island being the cork and the wine being the evil, the MIB is actually the wine and Jacob is the cork. Maybe the MIB leaving will spread evil around the world? I just dont know. I am not sure i fully understood Jacobs explantion of the island. Especially since at the end Richard's wife stated that they'll all go to hell. Does that mean the island (the cork) is some kind of weird purgatory where failure in your mission takes you to hell and fulfillment of your purpose brings you to...heaven? sideways world? i just dont know!

I also found Jacob's offer to Richard to be extremely interesting. Why could he only grant him eternal life and not any of those other things? It seems to me that if he were truly good, he could offer Richard what he truly wanted. MIB on the other hand did offer Sayid what he truly wanted when he was recruiting him...

Kyle Litke said...

Well, I suspect that Smokey is the one with dominion over the dead, which is why Jacob can't give Richard his wife back.

Also, here's a question that doesn't much matter, but is weird nonetheless. Most people call him Richard (modern day name). But Jacob and others have called him Ricardus. I expected that to be his pre Island name, but it's not...it's Ricardo. I'm sure it's not important and won't be answered, but at what point did someone randomly start calling him Ricardus? My guess is this was just a total red herring to make you think Richard was a lot older than he is, since Ricardus makes me think of Rome and the like. Just a little strange.

Loved the episode, though!