Monday, March 8, 2010

Who wants to talk wrestling?

So tonight marks the official first night of the new "Mondy Night Wars" -- although I don't see it as a war in the least -- so I thought I'd do a streaming blog post on the night's activities. I'll be watching Raw primarily -- I actually have no interest in Impact, but maybe I'll turn it on during commercial breaks. If I remember.

But anyway, I'm hopeful that my loyal visitors will sound off in the comments section. What do you think of the shows? Which show is superior? Anything especially shocking or great? Come back at 9:00 and post your thoughts!

WWE Raw:

I enjoyed the opening segment. Am I the only one who thought Undertaker looked very uncomfortable and nervous before Shawn arrived, almost as if he couldn't remember his next line? But Shawn absolutely turned things around. He was on fire. And I'm glad that they altered his character. My favorite part of the angle last year was how Shawn was just NOT falling for any of Taker's mind games. So seeing HBK falling apart at the sight of him on the Titan Tron was a bit disheartening. This cocky, confident Shawn is the one we all want to see.

Miz referenced Bushwhackers, Lex Luger, and British Bulldog. Okay, this show definitely wins tonight.

My vote for the Morrison/R Truth tag team name: Truth and Wisdom.

Kyle - I hadn't actually noticed the lack of matches until you mentioned it. My guess is that, with the WrestleMania line up more or less set, they don't want to give away too much before the big show.

I'm a bit surprised they went the face route with Orton. Does the turn have legs once the Legacy breakup angle has concluded?

Legacy doing the classic Orton pose over his lifeless body was a great visual. Where do we go from here though? Triple Threat at WrestleMania? Is a couple weeks enough to breakup DiBiase and Rhodes at that same intensity level?

Bischoff got a haircut, but everybody on Raw's hair looks longer than usual. Odd.

Evan Bourne will fit in great for Money in the Bank, but I'm shocked Kofi's not in there. Any speculation as to why he's not there? Maybe Undertaker didn't like what he was wearing backstage.

This is going to sound weird, but I think it's awesome the way Cena manages to take off his t-shirt without ever taking his eyes off his opponent.

Kofi's appearance in the main event was puzzling.

TNA Impact:

I guess Sting returned and turned heel. And really? Opening your big show with Hogan and Flair in the ring? Dreadful!

Eric Bischoff apparently got a haircut for the big premiere. Snazzy.

Dixie Carter says Sting will find out his opponent "when everybody else does." Um...what? Wouldn't that have still been true if she had just announced his opponent right then and there?

For that matter, why is she so emotional about Sting returning and attacking Hogan, but doesn't seem to mind that Shannon Moore returned and attacked the X Division Champion?

Why is everybody so disgusted and surprised about Sting being a heel? Wasn't he JUST a heel with the Main Event Mafia? Where he was essentially doing the same thing -- hitting faces with a baseball bat....

Has there honestly been two commercial breaks in the midst of this Nash segment?

Anytime I hear "Mr. Anderson" I can't help but think of Matrix.

I didn't catch who Hogan is wrestling in the main event, but are they honestly going to do the Montreal Ending yet again?????

So let me get this straight: TNA makes it a point to mention that Spike TV would stick around til the end of the show, but then cut off the feed seconds before Jeff Hardy hits the Swanton?



Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

It wasn't a good opening to TNA. What's the point of turning Sting heel? This isn't Flair or HBK who are great as heels. Sting sucks at it and he's at a point in his career where he really doesn't need to be turning heel. It doesn't help anyone. It's just stupid hotshot crash TV crap. Russo's fingerprints all over it.

Raw was a solid opening, but what do you expect, right? HBK and Taker are always good. The matches sound like they suck tonight though...Cena/McMahon is just going to be an angle, and Handicap matches are pretty much always terrible and usually just storylines anyway.

Kyle Litke said...

Also, Miz and Show VS Morrison and Truth? Either they're giving away a Wrestlemania match (stupid) or it's ALSO just going to be an angle, which is fine, but are they going to have an actual match on the show aside from the Divas?

Kyle Litke said...

Matt, what do you think they're going to do with Orton and Legacy at Wrestlemania? A handicap match doesn't make sense (plus we just got one). I thought a triple threat originally, or Orton VS DiBiase with Rhodes as a special ref, but with Rhodes firmly sided with DiBiase, neither makes much sense. Tag match maybe? I saw it suggested that it could be Orton and Kingston VS Legacy, since Kofi doesn't have a match and he at least has history with Orton and Legacy. Obviously he hates Orton, but I'm sure they can figure out a way to make them reluctant teammates.

Matt Basilo said...

Kyle, I'm not quite sure and I was just thinking about that myself. With WrestleMania only a couple weeks away, it seems unlikely that they'll be able to break up DiBiase and Rhodes and have that match the intensity and hatred each of them have for Orton. And, like you said, we just got the Handicap match.

The tag match with Kofi seems like a possibility, since (surprisingly) he's evidently not going to be in Money in the Bank. But a tag match involving somebody who has little to do with the personal issues seems slightly anti-climatic.

Kyle Litke said...

Agree completely, but I can't come up with anything else, especially with Kofi very conspicuously absent. He should have been a shoe in for Money in the Bank...as it is, it's a lackluster lineup and this really seems like an obvious win for Christian, the only guy in that match who you could justify either giving the title to or at least getting a title shot. Kofi would have worked as a possibility, certainly moreso than guys like Matt Hardy, or Ziggler, or Swagger who has been treated like a total nothing on Raw. The fact that he's not in it, to me, means either he REALLY pissed someone off backstage, or they have something else in mind for him. With the MitB seemingly full and Miz already in a match, what else is there?

Kyle Litke said...

Criss Angel's stuff seems like something that would be awesome in person but doesn't work so well on TV, especially wrestling TV, where we're conditioned to assume everything is predetermined. I see the backstage skits and I think "Okay, he already knew what Regal would write and he already knew where Santino would put the knife", because that's what they do in wrestling. I'm not saying that's the case, if he can actually do those in "real life" then he probably did them for real, but still. It just doesn't quite work.

Matt Basilo said...

Kyle - Completely agree on the Criss Angel stuff. Truth be told, I'd be more impressed if he had smashed his hand down on the cup with the knife in it, only to reveal that the knife was in Santino's pocket or something.