Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Monday Night Wars

So I received another Twitter response to one of the celebrities I’ve commented on. The guilty party this time is Tazz (yeah, I actually prefer the extra “Z”). In case you didn’t know, TNA’s Impact scored less than 1.0 this past Monday. Meanwhile, WWE pulled in their usual mid-3.0 range. In response to this massacre, Tazz said: “In regards to ratings, a man I respect very much once told me, "keep chopping wood"! Great things dont happen over night.”

I personally cannot stand this “it’s not going to happen overnight” argument that TNA fans and personnel are spewing out. Have they conveniently forgotten that the company has been in existence for 8 years? This is NOT their first time at the rodeo, so to speak. So, in response, I said: “Apparently they don't happen in 8 years either.”

I suppose that’s a bit snarky, but honestly I don’t think the show is very well written. And it really never has been. I can excuse the poor production value and the lame Impact Zone audience, because those are more or less budgetary matters, but the writing, in my view, is just inexcusable. Like I said, TNA isn’t some young pup. I mean, eight years ago WWE’s landscape was quite different. First off, they were still WWF. Secondly, there was only one roster. And guys like John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, and CM Punk had never been heard of by the casual fan. And the idea of Edge and Jeff Hardy actually becoming World Champions was a mere hopeful dream. And a Shawn Michaels return? Nothing more than a fantasy.

So anyway, in response Tazz says: “dumb comment- learn your history.”

Honestly, I don’t even know what he means by that. I didn’t follow up, because truthfully, I had no intention of being antagonistic. In my view, this is just a difference in philosophy. I can understand “dumb comment” because I’m sure it looked like I was trying to start a fight. But learn my history? What does that even refer to? Well, Mr. 13, how’s this for a history lesson? TNA Impact was on a ratings downturn when they went unopposed on Thursday nights. In fact, for the past several weeks, each quarter hour rating went DOWN from the previous quarter, meaning more and more viewers opted to change the channel than stick around to see how it ends. Twist and turn the news all you want, but honestly, this just makes you sound like a corporate shill.

Anyway, click here to see a screencap of Thug Life mentioning me



Share/Bookmark

No comments: