Saturday, November 22, 2008

Survivor Series predictions


One of my top three favorite wrestling Pay-Per-Views is this weekend -- Survivor Series -- and since I have my nephew's Christening tomorrow and a holiday party tonight, this will probably be my only chance to offer my predictions. Unfortunately I won't be able to catch the event (WrestleMania, Royal Rumble, and Survivor Series are the only three PPV's I even consider buying), which is too bad, because I'm glad they're actually providing some traditional elimination matches. Here are my predictions!

World Heavyweight Championship:
Chris Jericho (c) vs. John Cena

While I love the fact that Jericho is World Champion, and I'd hate to see his latest reign cut short, I really believe that John Cena NEEDS to win this match. Before his injury, Cena was jobbing out left and right. While traditional wrestling logic would indicate that Cena wins the match, but not the title, resulting in a chase for the gold, I really believe the smarter way to go would be for Cena to simply win the title.

Incidentally, in the latest edition of WWE Magazine, Cena promised he wouldn't do anything ridiculous to the World Heavyweight Championship should he ever win it. I suppose that remains to be seen, though.

Winner and new World Heavyweight Champion: John Cena

WWE Championship:
Triple H (c) vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Vladimir Kozlov

I'm SO tempted to say Jeff Hardy finally wins the gold, given how hard they're pushing him, but if Cena does win, I'm just not sure I see them changing both championships in one night. That being said, I think they risk hurting Hardy's credibility, as in the past year, he's earned, but lost, WWE Championship matches against Randy Orton and Triple H (numerous times). Will they finally pull the trigger? Sorry, but probably not tonight.

Winner and still WWE Champion: Triple H

Casket Match:
Undertaker vs. Big Show

I think this would be a perfect time to utilize my Edge return idea. Have all of La Familia attack Undertaker, only for Edge to return and make the save (a nice reverse allusion to his actions last year). I doubt it would happen, but I can still hope for it.

Winner: Undertaker

Traditional Survivor Series Match:
Team Batista (Batista, CM Punk, Kofi Kingston, Matt Hardy, and R-Truth) vs. Team Orton (Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, William Regal, Mark Henry, and Shelton Benjamin)

This is a tough one to predict. I think either Batista or Orton will walk away as the sole survivors of their respective teams. On the one hand, WWE apparently wants to keep Batista happy. On the other, if Cena wins the gold, it would make sense to try to make Orton look strong. Survivor Series has historically been Orton's "event," so I'll go with him.

Winner and sole survivor: Randy Orton

Traditional Survivor Series Match:
Team HBK (Shawn Michaels, Rey Mysterio, Cryme Tyme, and The Great Khali) vs. Team JBL (JBL, Kane, John Morrison, The Miz, and MVP)

Here's my first prediction: MVP gets eliminated less than a minute into the match, when he's unexpectedly hit with a Super Kick. Anyway, I see the faces winning this one, with Shawn Michaels and Rey Mysterio standing tall. Well, Mysterio will just be standing.

Winners: Shawn Michaels and Rey Mysterio

Traditional Survivor Series Match:
Raw Divas vs. Smackdown Divas

The Raw Divas are more "legitimate," which is too bad considering that Victoria and Natalya Neidhart are both more than capable, so I'm saying they win, with the enemies Mickie and Beth surviving together.

Winners: Beth Phoenix and Mickie James

Anyway, I think this has the potential to be a great show. It would have been nice to get one more traditional match, but oh well, three is better than none. Enjoy!

No comments: